Friday, October 10, 2014

Tool Libraries

I have made an incredible discovery recently, upon my move to Portland I found myself without a woodshop. For the past few years I have been spoiled with the luxurious facilities of my university with a full blown wood, metal and materials shop and a digital lab with plotters, 3Dprinters, laser cutters and cnc mills. I could go and get a membership to a maker space such as Portland's ADX or Techshop which has locations popping up everywhere! However those memberships range from $50-$200 per month plus class fees.

Here is a cheap (& often free) alternative! Do a google search to find a tool library in your neighborhood! Mine, North East Portland Tool Library (NEPTL), is completely volunteer run and donation based! Tool libraries make sense economically and environmentally plus it can bring a community together! I myself have taken to volunteering my time, plus I know a little about tools so that helps!

Want to find one near you?

Check this Wiki list to see if there is one near you!  


What is a Tool Library?

Tool libraries are just like traditional libraries, but with tools instead of books.  They are great for people who can’t/don’t want to buy/rent tools they are only going to use once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment