Monday, April 22, 2013

Fiber Relief in Progress: Laser Cutting

I am working on two fiber relief works, similar to my installation Passage. These are smaller studies made in a similar fashion. However, here I am utilizing 3D modeling technology in Rhino and a Laser cutter.


Here I am simply subtracting objects from the main form with the Boolean2Objects tool. Here I can click through the results and have the pyramid forms removed from the cube.


Below I have used the command "Contour" which allows me to extract serial information from the model which can be read by the laser.



Because the hanging sheets of fabric won't be strong enough to support the undercuts I have hand drawn flaps that will be cut instead of the pentagonal shapes. Here I can sew back these flaps with inserted supports.

No comments:

Post a Comment